As he always does, Ben Shapiro nails it with his wit and intelligence in his update to what we can see during the Jeff Sessions hearing today. In his post, Shapiro lets us know 4 questions we are sure to hear, and why they are stupid. You can watch a live stream of the Jeff Sessions hearing here.
1. Did You Lie About Meeting With The Russians? Sessions originally had to recuse himself from the Trump-Russia investigation after information emerged that he had met twice with Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak. Sessions had testified that he never had any contacts with Russian government officials. But Sessions can easily point to the fact that many legislators have met with Kislyak, the first “meeting” with Kislyak happened at an event with dozens of other ambassadors, and the second meeting was a normal .
2. Why Would James Comey Suggest There Are Reasons For You To Recuse Yourself Beyond Your Meetings With Kislyak? That question will be asked after former FBI director James Comey dropped the quasi-bombshell that he expected Sessions to recuse himself based on classified information. Comey stated, “Our judgment, as I recall, was that he was very close to and inevitably going to recuse himself for a variety of reasons. We also were aware of facts that I can’t discuss in an open setting that would make his continued engagement in a Russia-related investigation problematic.” What are those reasons? Sessions will certainly be asked. Of course, he has an easy answer: “I have no idea.”
3. Will You Stand Up To Trump? Given the rumors spread by Newsmax CEO and Trump friend Chris Ruddy that Trump is considering firing special counsel Robert Mueller, would Sessions threaten to resign? For that matter, would Sessions threaten to resign under any circumstance in which he found out that Trump was interfering into an active criminal or counterintelligence investigation? Deputy attorney general Rod Rosenstein has already said that he wouldn’t stand for Trump firing Mueller. Of course, Obama Attorney General Eric Holder called himself Obama’s “wingman,” but double standards have no meaning for Democrats.
4. Why Did Sessions Recommend Comey’s Firing After Recusing Himself? This one will be on the tip of every Democrat’s tongue – they all want to make it look like Trump fired Comey as part of a cover-up, with Sessions as accessory. Sessions had already recused himself on Trump-Russia matters, but recommended Comey’s firing anyway, and then Trump went on national television and said he fired Comey over the Russia investigation. Sessions has a ready answer here, too: Trump asked for his advice, so he gave it. Comey wasn’t doing his job, should have been fired, and that had nothing to do with stopping the investigation, which remains ongoing.
What are the questions that the Senate Intelligence Committee should have been asking before today’s Jeff Sessions Hearing but won’t?
- When will every Senator who met anyone from Russia also recuse themselves from participating in, or speaking about, the Trump/Russia investigation?
- Why did 17 security and intelligence agencies all fail, by their own admission, to stop Russia from manipulating our elections under the Obama Administration?
- What accountability will Obama, Holder, Rice, Clinton, Brennan, Comey, and other Obama administration leaders be held to for their failure to stop a foreign government from controlling our federal elections?
- When will Loretta Lynch and Bill Clinton be called to testify before Congress over their illicit tarmac meeting?
- Why are we continuing to waste money on Trump/Russia when everyone admits there’s no evidence, but nothing is being done regarding Hillary when everyone admits she openly violated federal laws and even committed treason?